For many patients, the thought of going to the dentist isn’t pleasant. In fact, the dentist can trigger anxiety and fear in both children and adults. This may cause patients to avoid the dentist altogether. With the help of sedation dentistry, however, more patients can achieve a relaxed and rewarding dental visit despite their level of hesitation or fear.
Fear and anxiety are not the only reasons patients ask for sedation dentistry. In fact, there are a broad range of scenarios in which sedation dentistry can be beneficial, including the following:
- Fear or Aversion Surrounding Dental Care
- The most common reason for patients to choose sedation dentistry is fear or anxiety over dental care. This can include a fear of oral pain, fear of needles or a simple aversion to the sights, sounds (dental drill) or smells (latex) of the dentist. Sedation dentistry can eliminate the pain and anxiety triggers of being at the dentist.
- Short on Time
- Some dental treatments require multiple visits, not because a dentist can’t do the work in one sitting, but because patients can only handle so much dental care in one appointment. However, sedation dentistry can allow patients to comfortably receive multiple treatments or procedures in one visit, which is a welcome benefit for those who are short on time and have busy schedules.
- Sensitive Gag Reflex
- Dental care undoubtedly requires hands and tools deep inside the mouth. Unfortunately, this can be very uncomfortable for patients who have a sensitive gag reflex. Mild forms of sedation dentistry can easily manage your gag reflex and create a more relaxed and uninterrupted dental visit.
- Sensitive Teeth and Gums
- We all feel things differently. If you have hypersensitive gums and teeth, sedation dentistry can enable you to receive dental cleanings and other treatments without discomfort or fear of discomfort.
- Trouble Sitting Still or Physical Disability
- Do you find it challenging to sit in the dental chair for your entire appointment? You are not alone. Whether it is a fidgety child or an adult with a disability, sedation dentistry relaxes the body and makes it easy to remain still for extended periods of time.
At DNTL Hub, we proudly offer three levels of sedation dentistry, including oral conscious sedation, nitrous oxide sedation (laughing gas) and IV sedation. These are safe and effective ways to help you relax in the dental chair. They do not involve being “put to sleep.” In fact, nitrous oxide sedation has no lingering side effects and allows you to drive yourself home after your dental appointment if you wish. Call today to learn if sedation dentistry is right for you.
Posted on behalf of
10360 Twin Cities Rd, Ste 10
Galt, CA 95632
Monday - Thursday 8:00am - 5:00pm
Friday 8:00am - 4:00pm